February 24, 2010

Fact #6: I'm a sensitive person.

...and I always have been. Words can hurt a lot. I shouldn't take them seriously because what people say are their own opinions and may simply be their way of joking around. I've always taken what people say too seriously.

Maybe it was because I grew up with a disabled sister, and it hurt me more and more the older I got to see people make fun of her, or inform me on the playground that "I had a retarded sister." And even though that was when I was about six years old, it ended up hurting me so bad. That's my sister. She's a person, too. At six years old I didn't even know what that meant..."retarded"...I told my mom what the kids on the playground said and asked her what that meant. The next day the girl that said it probably didn't even realize what she said, but it's stuck with me for 15 years.

In middle school, I ended up avoiding the pool for an entire summer simply because a boy pointed out that one of my toes was longer than another one and "that meant I'm a lesbian."

These things are stupid, yes. And I shouldn't take them seriously, but I simply can't help it. It's just the type of person I am.

I'm sensitive.

I've gotten better and learned who to trust and not to; but there are times even now that words still hurt.
I promise to continue to try and not let people's words control me.

No comments:

Post a Comment