January 30, 2012

Breaking the Habit

Everyone has habits. Hair twirling. Knuckle cracking. Nail biting. 

In my case, it's nail biting. It's horrible. I know. But I've had this habit for as long as I can remember. I don't know if it's from stress. Or worrying too much. Or both. Or what? But it's horrible and bad and I hate it! And I have always wanted to stop. But I've never had the will or motivation to do it. I end up worrying more...it's a vicious cycle. 

I've always wanted to get my nails professionally done, but I am WAY too embarrassed to actually go in and do it. This summer I decided to try the cheap-o fake nails from the dollar store. And they actually looked okay. So for the past six months or so I would wear them for special events or just for fun off and on.

I wore them last week and when I took them off, I noticed my nail had turned green. GREEN. What the hey? After doing some research, I discovered it was because it had gotten wet underneath the fake nail and a bacteria had started to form. I guess it's common for people that wear the cheap-o fake nails. But it seriously freaked me out. I mean, I love the color green. But it was just weird. And not normal.

At this point I decided that I was going to make a true effort to try and NOT bite my nails. I need to break the habit and start to not feel so self conscious about something as stupid as my hands. The human hand is probably my favorite body part. They are so fascinating. Call me weird, but it is the first thing I notice about a person. Weird? Probably. Who cares.

I also decided I needed to quit this habit when Devon mentioned something that made a lot of sense. For the past year or two I have had issues with my jaw locking (TMJ). One of his fraternity brothers is studying to be a physical therapist, so when Devon mentioned something to him about my TMJ he mentioned something about pressure on the front of the teeth being bad and I should exercise the muscles in the back. Maybe my TMJ flares up because I bite my nails. I mean it does happen when I am stressed or worried. 

Love, Peace, & Feeling Good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment